13 Aralık 2016 Salı

2011 Christmas season opening 18th century ball

The traditional 18th century Christmas season opening ball was held last Saturday in an old naval fortress, Suomenlinna http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/ The construction of the fortress begun in middle of 18th century and it used to be a lively cultural center in 18th century Helsinki so, although being a little dungeon-like, it is an appropriate place for such an event. It was my first time at the Christmas season opening ball and I had a blast. As I was feeling lazy and the cream Française was still hanging unpacked in our hallway, I wore it. It also had the advantage of an easy hairstyle. I wanted to enjoy the evening and not to think about photographing too much, so I have only a few low quality pictures, but you get to see the ones I have. I start with a few pictures of me on the arrival.






There had been an 18th century fair earlier that day and my friend mademoiselle Tirbuck was still wearing her maid clothing when I arrived, so we took a picture of her serving me some secret and unknown delicacy.




She then changed in to her much admired new striped robe à l'Anglaise.


First we were served a toast of something mysterious in content, but I'm sure it had at least some alcohol in it. Mademoiselle Tirbuck filling her glass:


Not long after that we were served a fabulous 18th century dinner.



During the dinner and dessert a group of musicians played 18th century music. One of the musicians had made some of the instruments played that evening and I was delighted to examine the beautiful and very ornamented lute and a simple viola da gamba. After dinner we were entertained with bagpipes and a drum. I loved it, but even better was still to come, a shadow play accompanied with Bellman's songs. 


The 18th century me was shocked by the content of the play. After all there were a few young unmarried women in the audience, that shouldn't even be aware of the things that happen between a man and a woman in such detail, but here these things were so grotesquely portrayed to us. The 21st century me enjoyed the risque play immensely!

Later in the evening the musicians took over again and we were able to dance. 


The best thing about the evening was meeting for the first time a most delightful young lady from northern Finland ( http://rococoatelier.blogspot.com/ ) who shares my passion for pretty dresses. You can already see the back view of her beautiful polonaise style gown in the picture above. See, she looked pretty as a picture!


During the evening I also stumbled in the middle of a picturesque scene, where our senior soldiers were gathered in the chilly and dark hallway calmly talking the usual historical manly things, guns and wars and such, and I tried to discretely capture the moment.



I left the ball at midnight. Helsinki at night from the sea.


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder